Prognostic Factors of Arthroscopic Adhesiolysis for  Arthrofibrosis of the Knee.


Kim YM, Joo YB. Prognostic factors of arthroscopic adhesiolysis for
arthrofibrosis of the knee. Knee Surg Relat Res. 2013 Dec;25(4):202-6.

Abstract

Purpose:

To assess the results of arthroscopic adhesiolysis for arthrofibrosis of the knee and to investigate possible prognostic factors.

Material and METHODS:

Among the patients who developed arthrofibrosis after knee joint surgery, 68 patients who underwent arthroscopic adhesiolysis and were available for at least one-year follow-up were evaluated with regard to the Lysholm knee score, International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) subjective knee score, patient satisfaction, and range of motion (ROM) of the knee. The influence of possible prognostic factors including the cause of arthrofibrosis, duration of disease, and age of the patient on the postoperative ROM was analyzed.

RESULTS:

Sixty-one patients (89.7%) obtained an average increase of 48.6¬į in ROM; however, the remaining seven patients (10.3%) did not show any increase at the final follow-up. The Lysholm knee score and IKDC subjective knee score increased significantly at the final follow-up. Patient satisfaction was high or very high in 89.7% of the patients at the final follow-up. There was no association between the cause of arthrofibrosis and the increase in postoperative ROM. The duration of disease was significantly related to the postoperative recovery of ROM. Age had no significant influence on the postoperative recovery of ROM.

CONCLUSIONS:

We believe that arthroscopic adhesiolysis is effective for the treatment of intraarticular arthrofibrosis. In particular, the duration of the disease had significant influence on the postoperative outcome.

Keywords:

Arthrofibrosis, Arthroscopic adhesiolysis, Knee, Range of motion

Download full article PDF below


Download Full Text Here

For more such Information and Updates, Join the most unique platform in Orthopaedics

and
Receive free monthly Newsletter 'Ortho Mirror'

JOIN IORG - CLICK HERE